Sunday, October 23, 2005

I'll never donate to Tulane

This school is an absolute nightmare. I have been having rather unhealthy email exchanges with one of the staff in my department at Tulane. I emailed a bunch of questions and concerns that I have about school, including the very important question of where the hell is my money? It's Oct. 23rd and Tulane faculty and staff have been getting their full salaires.. but students still haven't seen a penny of their financial aid. Since the school closed, we all scattered across the country as guests at other universities. We are expected to pay Tulane tuition, regardless of where we are. Fortunately for me, I am attending a superior institution. Some of my friends aren't so lucky - some couldn't even enroll in school and are working instead. Either way, at $750 a credit, Tulane is expensive, which I knew when I applied. My guest university is much cheaper than that. Ok, so I took out loans to pay for my tuition at Tulane even though I am getting nothing from Tulane. The school is taking our money and not providing anything, not even the loan money we took out for living expenses!

Well, ok, that's not completely true. N the staff is providing me with a headache. She is one of those pinchy-faced nasty people to begin with, who always has an attitude. Maybe it's because she doesn't have a master's and yet somehow oversees a master's level department. When I inquired as to why Tulane can pay faculty and staff salaries but can't give me an answer as to where my loans are, she said - and this is copied and pasted from her response: "I am not put off by your questions... The insinuation that we (faculty and staff) are not earning our salaries, I found insulting and unrealistic..." Not put off but insulted? Girl, you should really look up the words you are using in the dictionary before you send me an email.

I find it very interesting that Tulane is paying salaries to people who aren't providing anything. I don't have an advisor anymore, and no one has helped me plan the rest of my education. I don't have my 2 jobs I used to work, including the one I had at Tulane. (Student workers have not remained on the payroll, in case you were wondering.) I took out loans for living expenses, but I have yet to see the money. Ultimately, I am paying interest on money that I haven't received. Pinchy-faced N is getting paid her salary to send me nasty emails when I ask questions. Damn, I wish I had her job.

I am tired of having no advocate. Students have no representation. Tulane is making a killing on this fabulous idea that their students can attend another school yet still pay Tulane. If you are thinking about going to school, stay far away from Tulane. We still live with no financial aid, but the president puts out a message on the website asking us to donate money to the school for rebuilding. How about this? How about you worry first about your constituents? If it was financially sound for me to withdraw, I would. But I'd lose out. Schools only take 12 credits when you transfer, and I've completed 35. I can't spend the next year as a re-do year. I am stuck with a Tulane degree. I'm living in hand-me-downs and the rich keep getting richer. Oh america. So just.

No comments: