Wednesday, April 26, 2006

my HIPS, my hips my hips my hips

Has it been longer than a week since I last blogged? My goodness, time flies. My girl will be here in days!!! Our life together will be, well, together. Yay!

Work is kicking my arse. I love it, though I can see how bored I will be soon enough if my duties remain as they are. Right now, I am learning, I am "getting my feet wet" or "learning the ropes" as it were. My boss loves me, the clients love me, I am far more of a people-person than I realized. (than the most recent blog hints at)

Today, I received an email inviting me to apply for a position at HIPS, an agency that does outreach to sex workers in DC. One of the women who sat on a hiring panel of a job I was not offered apparently forwarded my resume and email to the Execitive Director of HIPS. She wrote me today asking me to look at the job description and apply, and if I am not interested, would I consider volunteering? Yowza!

Salary: low 30s. WHO CAN LIVE ON THAT WITH 65k LOANS DUE SALLIE FRICKIN' MAE? Perhaps I will see about volunteering. I like the job idea, I like the thought of using my degree.. I like being able to buy nice clothes and pay down my loans and travel and have all that money brings. What do I do? Go for the job that provides money but has nothing to do with my entire career? Cut the shit and run towards the job that will make me feel as though I am doing some good in the world? I mean, this was my DREAM JOB when I was in school - working with sex workers, doing the gritty hard work that I was born to do. But basic survival on the salary (plus a schedule of two 10pm-5am outreach shifts/week) will be hard. But the honor of being invitied to apply is pretty cool too.

Argh, but I cannot even manage to workout with my so-called easy and brainless job! Speaking of my hips indeed. You know, your ass literally spreads from sitting on it for too long. There won't be much sitting while working in the sex work industry, providing condoms and health information to the folks providing services for clients. It would be so wonderful and groovy and perfect in so many ways.

Still, I hesitate.

3 comments:

KMP said...

Uh, WOAH fcuck_salliemae! Interesting blog...Lori you attract some interesting attention! Oh BTW I love your hips!

JM said...

Blogspam. So annoying.

Usually I get pron blogspam but in this case some bot out there is trolling blogs for the words "Sallie" and "Mae" and dropping in this automated resposne to your blog.

Someone must really hate Sallie Mae to go through all that effort.

olecranon process said...

Woo...you are in a tough spot missy. Whatever you choose, I support you!
You are a fabulous outreach worker. You also seem to be a fabulous real estate...err...agent? Person. Yes.

But I know the distaste of rolling the words "thirty grand a year" around in your mouth.

But don't worry, you can always go back to your dream. My dad is finally becoming a high school teacher after a thirty year postponement!